FESTIVAL OF TABLEWARE
6–9 AUGUST 2021
About the festival
It is with heavy hearts that the Ceramics Association of New Zealand has decided to postpone Feast (Together) – The George Festival of Tableware until 2021. The near future remains uncertain, and we want to ensure the safety and security of our festival attendees, workshop tutors and speakers.
The festival will now be held from 6–9th August 2021, in the Canterbury-West Coast region at the beautifully restored historic Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora.
Generously sponsored by The George, and partnering with the Canterbury Museum, the Teece Museum and the Christchurch Art Gallery.
The festival has been designed to celebrate all thing 'tableware', with New Zealand makers, producers, users and the public coming together for a feast of body, mind, and spirit. FEAST, MAKE and SEE with a range of events and activities open to the public.
Sign up for our email newsletter to keep up to date with festival event announcements.
at our Grand Opening,
The George Night of Tableware, and The Great Hall High Tea
presented by The George
for the exhibition and come to our ceramic tableware workshops that are open to CANZ members and the public!
The National Tableware Competition & Exhibition, Talks and Demonstrations
About the National
The competition entry calls nationally to all members of Ceramics Association of New Zealand and the wider arts community, from new and emerging artists to studio specialists, taking the opportunity to push tableware to new standards. The awards are designed to enable the recipients to develop their own practice further by creating sustainability in the design & arts industry. Push the envelope with the humble tableware setting and astonish us with your ceramic serviceware.
Finalist entries will be curated into a magnificent exhibition, in the style of a Vemeer Banquet, to be showcased in the Great Hall of The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora.
Sign up for our email newsletter now to keep up to date with competition details and announcements. Entries open 21st March 2021 so get making!
- The exhibition is open to all financial members of the Ceramics Association of New Zealand. Non-members may join for a $40 membership fee: click here to join now.
Entry is open to New Zealand residents only.
- We would very much appreciate receiving a co-ordinated setting that consists of a dining plate, a bowl and a vessel. You may send up to 4 place settings of the same set, only 1 will be exhibited, but all will be for sale. If, however, you like to create serving dishes, casseroles, large bowls, jugs, tea pots, vases, candlesticks, or other tableware/serviceware, we would gratefully receive these for showcase as well.
- Entries will be judged on functionality, design and craftsmanship.
- You may enter up to 3 entries, 1 of which maybe your co-ordinated tableware set.
- Each entry is at the cost of $40 and is non-refundable and includes freight for unselected or returned items. Christchurch members $30 for items delivered and collected personally.
- Details on entry fee payments will be outlined on March 16th when online entries open.
- Selection of finalists will be made by image only, as an online only process. Selected finalists will be notified on 18th July 2021, they will then have 2 weeks in which to send their works to Christchurch for final judging and inclusion in the exhibition.
- Please keep up to date with our newsletter, as we will send out information on how to photograph and send your work soon. Sign up here.
- Judging will be by a panel of 3 judges. Judge’s decision is final.
Awards and prizes
- Awards and prizes to be announced shortly – thanks to our generous line-up of sponsors we will have a prize pool of $5,500.
- All imagery of works taken and submitted will be able to be used by the Ceramics Association of New Zealand in advertising and promotional material.
Terms & Conditions
- You can view the T&Cs here
Competition key dates
ONLINE ENTRIES OPEN
21 MARCH 2021
ONLINE ENTRIES CLOSE
27 JUNE 2021
18 JULY 2021
FINALIST ENTRIES DUE IN CHRISTCHURCH FOR JUDGING
31 JULY 2021
FESTIVAL & EXHIBITION OPENING / AWARDS NIGHT
6 AUGUST 2021
Anna-Marie Wallace is an Australian artist & designer, with over 20 years experience in creative industries, living & working both in Australia & Europe. Her qualifications include a Bachelor of Industrial Design, a Diploma of Ceramics, an Advanced Diploma of Visual Arts, & she holds numerous certifications in photography, teaching, business operations, & sales/marketing. She is a lover of all things sustainably produced & thoughtfully designed & is dedicated to proving that art is actually a “real job”. She actively seeks to help other creatives carve out profitable & fulfilling futures for themselves, creating beautiful things for all to enjoy without becoming “a starving artist”.
Find out more at madeofaustralia.com
Entries open 21st March 2021 – please sign up for our email newsletter so we can keep you up to date with competition and festival announcements.
Get in touch with the Ceramics Association of New Zealand